Do you say “There are not enough hours in the day’ or ‘Where did the day go’ more than you can count on a daily basis?
As a business owner, you are 100% not alone if you do.
Not only did the calendar turn to 2022, it seems like the seconds are ticking by much quicker! How do you get thru all the stuff you need to get done for today?
The answer… you don’t!
Wait before you stop reading and say I am a pessimist… that is the reality. There is so much on a business owner’s plate, you cannot possibly do everything you need to do each day. So what do you do?
Go into each day with the top 3 tasks you need to do in order to move your business forward. There are many ways to determine these tasks, let me give you a way that has worked for me. Follow these steps:
- On a Sunday (or anytime during a weekend, either morning or night), get out a piece of paper and write down everything you can think of that you have to get done for the upcoming week. Just write…do not think, just write.
- Continue Step 1 for at least 15 minutes. It is alright to pause and think again. In fact, your mind will have pauses. Make sure you have on this list tasks that move your business forward. So often, we only list the tasks that need to get done for clients or customers. But you also need to spend time on tasks that bring in more business for you. Once you feel you have all the tasks, move onto step 3.
- Go thru each task and pick out the #1 task that if completed will have the most impact on your business this week. I am sure there are tasks on this list that do not have to be done this week. They may be important but do not have to be completed this week. Make sure you pick the most important, then put a 1 next to it and circle it.
- Now go thru the tasks that do not have a number next to it and put a #2 next to the task that if completed will have an impact on your business this week. And circle it.
- Repeat step 4 again and increase the number by 1 each time you go thru the list. Stop this process when you are done with all the tasks that will make an impact on your business this week. Each task does not have to have a number by it.
- You now have a prioritized list for the week. Set some time aside to do each task.
We all know that things come up during the week that needs our attention. Try to do at least 3 of the prioritized tasks each day. Then at least you can say each day you have moved your business forward. Make sure you set aside time for at least 3 tasks. You will be amazed how much you get done!
Oh and 1 more thing… go thru that list again and really look at those tasks you wrote down that do not have a number next to it. Do you really need to do them? Do you have someone you can move these tasks to? If so, delegate!
For more small business tips, be sure to visit my website at https:www.goalstoresults.com